Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday Spotlight || Houston's Radio Show Host & Producer Kena Shaw of Chocolateisnatural

Hello Hunny Bunnies.  I am chocolateisnatural Radio Show Host and Producer of chocolateisnatural radio.  My radio show is live on Saturdays from 9-10am CST.  We discuss issues that affect the natural hair community such as love, fibroids, healthy eating, fitness, porosity, traction alopecia and so much more!!!  Visit chocolateisnatural.com to hear archived radio shows.  I live in Houston, TX and I am in graduate school pursuing my Master's in Business Administration from the University of Houston-Victoria.


Q: What inspired you to go natural? 
I was forced to go natural because a lady did a horrible job on my sew in 6 years ago.  Glad she damaged my relaxed hair because this is the longest that my hair has ever been!!

Q: Did you transition, if so for how long?  
Nope, I big chopped.  My hair was far too damaged to attempt to salvage.  

Q: What is the good in your natural journey?  
Knowing that I am loving my scalp and hair the healthy way because I have eradicated relaxers from my hair journey.  


Q: What has been your biggest learning experience in your natural journey? 
Now I understand that finger detangling is best for my 4c natural hair.  I don't use combs, brushes, or heat to style my hair.  Except when I am deep conditioning or using flexi rods.  

Q: What is the meaning behind chocolateisnatural?  
I absolutely LOVE chocolate, I am dark skinned, and I am natural.   How did you come up with such creative brand name?  I needed a catchy name for my YouTube channel.  My brand name has a double meaning.  The real chocolate that you eat is natural and so am I!!!  My brand name is all one word all lower case.



Q: For the newbies transitioning to natural or for those how just the Big Chop, what are your top five tips to maintain natural hair at home?  
1.  Finger detangle your strands.  It takes longer but it is better for your hair.
2.  Sleep with a satin pillowcase or sating scarf.  Go to Sally's to get one.  
3.  Use a good protein treatment once a month like Green Beauty's Real Protein Treatment.
4.  Stop pulling out single strand knots.  Get your shears and cut those bad boys out!!
5.  Find a SIMPLE hair regime that is suitable for your hair and lifestyle.  Deep condition weekly and PLEASE be gentle with your hair.

Q: What is your daily hair care regimen? 
Mine is quite simple.  I wear low manipulative hair styles or protective styles.  Some days I don't do anything with my hair.  



Q: What can we look forward from chocolateisnatural? 
 My t-shirt line will be adding children t-shirts in the next several months!  I am stoked about this addition!!!  T-shirts are available on my website.   

Q: How can we stay connect with chocolateisnatural? 
Visit my website www.chocolateisnatural.com.  I have new blog posts on natural hair, smoothies, infused water, and more!  Be sure to follow me on Instagram chocolateisnatural on Instagram.  I will be having another contest for my Instagram followers real soon!!!

I included Tierra Nicole and I in my latest video that has us at Target for Karen Body Beautiful's Target Tour : Low Manipulative Styles on 4C Natural Hair.  


Thanks so much Tierra Nicole!!

Thank you so much Kena of Chocolateisnatural for sharing your natural hair journey with us!
 Best Wishes with your Chocolateisnatural T-shirts and Radio Show!

Natural Beauties don't forget to get to purchase a Chocolateisnatural t-shirt & visit 

 Natural Beauties, if you have a story to share with the group please feel free to email me at tierra@tierranicole.com

-I am here to inspire other EMBRACE their Natural Beauty!
Do What Come Naturally!
You can find me at www.tierrnicole.com or 
"LIKE" my facebook fan page Tierra Nicole
Follow me on Twitter/Instagram @itsTierraNicole
For inquires tierra@tierranicole.com
Your beauty comes from within. You are & You are Natural<3
~Tierra Nicole

1 comment: